What Does It Mean to Store Up Treasures in Heaven? July 24, 2016 8:45 a.m. Service
Matthew 6:19-24 (NIV)
Treasures in Heaven
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
RED LETTER LIVING OUTLINE
What Does It Mean to “Store up Treasures in Heaven?”
I. My new “treasure on earth.”
A. Hearing a quiet, gentle whisper about it…
B. So Matthew 6:19-24 is a good reminder to me/us
II.Ecclesiastes addresses our treasures on earth
A. Solomon’s conclusion: “Its all vanity and a striving after wind. Here is the end of the matter: Fear God and keep his
commandments. This is the whole duty of man.”
III.Jesus commands us to store up “treasures in heaven.” What does that mean?
A. There are only two treasures that will last forever: God’s Word and God’s people.
1. To store up those two treasures is to keep adding to what we have of each, and to preserve and protect what we are storing
up of each
B. First, God’s Word: “The grass withers, the flower fades, the Word of God stands forever (1 Peter 1:24-25)”
1. Jesus Christ Himself is God’s Word to us: John 1:1-2, 14; Hebrews 1:1-3. So God’s Word/God’s speaking to us comes to us in
relationship with Jesus Christ, and with His Spirit…
2. God’s Word/ God’s speaking to us is “the light for our path (Psalm 119:105).”
3. God speaks to us through Scripture, through godly people, through our thoughts and impressions, as we are centered on
God, and through circumstances happening around us…
4. Storing up this “treasure in heaven” is the personal responsibility of every disciple of Jesus – examples of storing
up the Word of God….
C. Secondly, the people of God who are committed to loving and serving Him in this life and the next
1. A thousand years from now, there won’t be all the things we think are so good….but there still will be the family of God.
2. Examples of storing up this “treasure in heaven.”
a) Building upon those relationships: adding to and protecting/preserving our love for them….
b) Ministering to a broken world with the people of God, and with a generous and open-handed heart
c) Looking to love new people into the Kingdom of heaven….
IV. Conclusion: The Word of God and the people of God: those are the two treasures wise people will want to focus on storing up in our